OVERVIEW: Xcel Energy Foundation conservation grants focus on programs and projects that have a positive impact on the natural environment of the communities in which Xcel Energy operates.
IP TAKE: Xcel’s geographically limits its grants to Colorado, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Texas, New Mexico, Wisconsin and Michigan.
PROFILE: Established in 2001, the Xcel Energy Foundation is the philanthropic arm of Xcel Energy, a company that provides energy services across eight western and Midwestern states. The company is an industry leader in renewable energy and reducing carbon emissions.
Through its grantmaking, the Xcel Energy Foundation supports efforts in STEM education, economic sustainability, environmental stewardship, arts and culture, strategic philanthropy, and disaster relief.
In the conservation space, the foundation’s environmental grants program supports organizations “[t]hat preserve, restore, conserve and improve wildlife habitat, open lands, wetlands, parks, train systems or recreational areas.” Xcel also invests in natural resource conservation and protection projects including those related to water conservation.
Grant amounts can range from $1,000 to $25,000 with most ranging from $5,000 to $20,000. Past Xcel conservation grantees include the Colorado Tree Coalitions and the Bayfield Regional Conservancy. To learn more about the types of conservation organizations Xcel supports, explore its environment grantees list.
The Xcel Energy Foundation does not accept unsolicited grant applications or requests for funding. Grantseekers can make general inquiries by emailing the foundation at Foundation@xcelenergy.com.
- Kynnie Martin, Regional Giving Representative, Colorado
- Elisa Rasmussen, Regional Giving Representative, Minnesota
- Janie Hogan, Regional Giving Representative, North Dakota (Fargo)
- Judith Paukert, Regional Giving Representative, North Dakota (Grand Forks)
- Kathleen Aas, Regional Giving Representative, North Dakota (Minot)
- Eric Pauli, Regional Giving Representative, South Dakota
- Terry Price, Regional Giving Representative, Texas & New Mexico
- Jeanne Fox, Regional Giving Representative, Wisconsin & Michigan