OVERVIEW: SC Johnson Giving prioritizes economic development, access to healthcare, education, and empowering low-income communities within the areas where the company operates.
IP TAKE: SC Johnson has a penchant for awarding numerous small grants rather than just a few large ones. Grantseekers should be aware that improving the lives of local community residents is key to securing SC Johnson funding.
PROFILE: Based in Racine, Wisconsin, SC Johnson Giving is the charitable arm of the company SC Johnson. This foundation dedicates many resources to supporting its local community; however, it devotes similar attention to the over 125 local communities in which the company operates globally. Citing its corporate This We Believe statement, which articulates its goal to make a positive impact in all of the communities in which it operates, the foundation is committed to its communities.
While SC Johnson makes many product and in-kind contributions, they do not comprise the majority of SC Johnson’s global development giving. In the global development space, SC Johnson names four major areas of grantmaking interest:
- Community & Economic Development. The foundation highlights economic development, capacity building, safe neighborhoods, and job training as focus issues.
- Health & Wellness. SC Johnson offers support to organizations that are encouraging public health and wellness education as well as promoting equitable access to healthcare.
- Social Services. The grantmaking focus here is on helping vulnerable and impoverished populations.
- Education. The foundation emphasizes academic enrichment and advancement at all education levels, beginning at early childhood.
These four focus areas account for the majority (around three-quarters) of SC Johnson’s global grantmaking.
The foundation is relatively transparent regarding its funding interests and application process. Unfortunately, it is not as forthcoming in grant award amounts. It only reveals that it awards “hundreds of smaller grants every year, as well as occasional large grants to support major or multi-year programs.”
SC Johnson Giving accepts unsolicited proposals throughout the year via its website.
- Kelly Semrau, Vice Chairman and President