OVERVIEW: The FCA Foundation is the philanthropic arm of the automobile manufacturer Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and gives grants to community, regional, and national initiatives in support of education, youth development, military families, and multicultural inclusion.
IP TAKE: The FCA Foundation’s K-12 education giving specifically focuses on STEM initiatives. The foundation hones in on specific cities for its community giving, but also looks to support regional and national programs. When you present your K-12 education project to the FCA Foundation, being mindful of its other areas of giving will also be value-added for your cause.
PROFILE: Established by the Chrysler Corporation in 1953, what's now called the FCA Foundation (previously the Chrysler Foundation) has distributed more than $500 million in the years that have followed. Positioning itself in today’s world of philanthropy, the foundation states that it exists to "help empower people, and build strong, viable communities."
The FCA Foundation seeks to empower through the following funding areas:
- Education—with a specific focus on STEM;
- Youth Development—providing mentoring and assistance to support the transition to successful adulthood;
- Multicultural and Diversity Initiatives—promoting inclusion and advancement opportunities;
- Military—assistance for active and retired service members and their families.
The FCA Foundation’s K-12 education giving is well-articulated: Think STEM. But having a sense of its other funding priorities can help you strengthen your pitch to the foundation even further. Its mission to affect change for youth development and diversity inclusion in particular can inform how you develop your K-12 education program when you reach out to this foundation.
Be mindful that when it comes to supporting local-level programs, it primarily focuses on communities where it has corporate operations. Some of these communities are major U.S. cities, but others are less known on the map: Yucca, AZ; Irvine, CA; Englewood, CO; Washington, DC; Orlando, FL; Belvidere IL; Lisle, IL; Indianapolis, IN; Kokomo, IN; Elkridge, MD; Detroit, MI; Syracuse, NY; Tappan, NY; Perrysburg, OH; Toledo, OH; Twinsburg, OH; Addison, TX; and Kenosha, WI.
In addition to this local-giving focus, the FCA Foundation also supports regional and national programs throughout the country.
Two recent examples of FCA Foundation K-12 education support are:
- $75,000 to the SAE Foundation in support of its A World In Motion program, which provides STEM education to K-8 students throughout the U.S. and Canada;
- $15,000 to Florida International University's College of Engineering and Computing for the launch of its new Engineers on Wheels program, which provides hands-on engineering education to K-12 students in Miami-Dade and Broward County schools.
Also worth noting: The foundation affiliates itself with the FIRST Robotics Competition by supporting middle school and high school teams throughout the country with grants ranging from $2,000 - $10,000 for each team.
- Search for staff contact info and bios in PeopleFinder (paid subscribers only.)