OVERVIEW: Shapiro grants go to a variety of causes in the Greater Boston area, and recently health programs and hospitals have been major beneficiaries. Other areas of interest include arts, education, Jewish causes, and social welfare. Grants are made through a request for proposal system.
One of the hallmarks of Carl and Ruth Shapiro is that they pay a lot of attention to detail. They don't just write a check, they become real partners of the institution.
— Dr. Gary Gottlieb, past president, Brigham and Women's Hospital
The Shapiro Family Foundation's grantmaking interests fall into the categories of arts and culture, education, health and hospitals, Jewish causes, and social welfare. Grantmaking initiatives have included the following:
Disability Inclusion. This grantmaking program aims to give disabled individuals a better quality of life through the development and implementation of new assistive technologies. This program also awards grants to organizations that repair and redistribute assistive and adaptive equipment. Check out the foundation's funding approach for more detailed information. Recent grants out of this program include:
- $30,000 to Massachusetts Advocates for Children in support of its Transition Planning for Youth and Young Adults with Disabilities Program geared toward individuals ages 10 to 22
- $20,000 to Easter Seals of Massachusetts Transition Services program
- $30,000 Disability Law Center for its work in the legal rights of special ed students transitioning into postsecondary school
- $20,000 to the Boston Children's Chorus
- $40,000 to EdVestors for its Boston Public Schools Arts Expansion Initiative
- $20,000 to the Urbano Project's Artists' Project and Young Curators programs
- $40,000 grant to English for New Bostonians
- $30,000 to Bottom Line, a college graduation initiative for first-generation college students
- $25,000 grant to Future Chefs, a youth culinary arts program
Linda Waintrup assumed the rold of foundation president in 2015 after the passing of Ronny Zinner. General questions can be directed to her at firstname.lastname@example.org.