The Max and Victoria Dreyfus Foundation was established in 1965, upon the death of Max Dreyfus, a preeminent publisher of American music. If you don’t know his name, you likely know some of the composers he partnered with: Jerome Kern, George Gershwin, Cole Porter, Rogers and Hammerstein, and Lerner and Loewe, for starters.
The Max and Victoria Dreyfus Foundation's giving history includes support for housing programs. But the foundation shares no marketing language or rhetoric as to the “why”—it doesn't declare a mission statement, nor any statements of focus for its giving. Rather, it leaves the door wide open, stating that it “does not establish funding priorities on an annual basis, but rather supports worthwhile activities for which an organization has made a compelling case to receive funding.”
A major thrust of that “compelling case” is to establish clearly why support from The Max and Victoria Dreyfus Foundation will make a big difference. The foundation views its grants as small ones (the typical range is $1,000 - $10,000) but it still wants to have a big impact on your ability to execute your housing program.
The foundation is also open-minded about how its funds could be used, and will provide general operating support and contribute to capital campaigns in addition to giving program support to organizations anywhere in the United States--so long as you’re a 501(c)(3).
The Max and Victoria Dreyfus Foundation’s recent housing grantees include:
- $20,000 to A Wider Circle (Bethesda, MD) for general operating support
- $10,000 to Captain Hope's Kids (Dallas, TX) for program support
- $10,000 to Shared Housing of New Orleans (New Orleans, LA) for general operating support
- $10,000 to Habitat for Humanity-Barrow County (Winder, GA) for its Veteran Build Effort
- $10,000 to Home Share Now (Barre, VT) for general operating support
- $7,500 to Joseph's House (Washington, DC) for general operating support
- $5,000 to Borromeo Housing (Arlington, VA) for its Second Chance Home Program.
The Max and Victoria Dreyfus Foundation has an open application process with two deadlines: May and November.