TITLE: Program Officer, Philanthropic Advisor, Family Office and Philanthropy Services
FOCUS AREAS: Health & welfare, arts & culture, education, environment, underserved populations, disadvantaged communities, nonprofit collaborations
CONTACT: 617-557-9774, email@example.com
PROFILE: Caroline (Callie) G. Slocum is one of two program officers at Jane’s Trust and a philanthropic advisor for Family Office and Philanthropy Services at Heminway & Barnes LLP, a law firm in Boston. She holds an AB from Bowdoin College and an Ed.M. from Harvard Graduate School of Education.
Prior to joining Hemenway & Barnes in November 2005, she worked as a program officer for the Richard and Susan Smith Family Foundation for over three years and also as a manager for development operations and communications at New Profit Inc. for three years.
Slocum’s law firm bio shares:
Callie Gates Slocum works with individuals, families, charitable trusts and foundations to provide a range of philanthropic and client services. She advises or manages a number of New England-based family foundations that support nonprofits working in education, youth development, workforce development, human services and the arts.
Prior to this Callie worked as a program officer for a multi-generational family foundation and in development and communications for a national venture philanthropy fund.
- Implements philanthropic programs for new and existing clients that are responsive to those clients’ needs and interests.
- Reviews and analyzes grant applications and requests for funds.
- Researches and reports on issue areas of interest to current and potential clients, including hunger prevention and sustainable agriculture, early childhood education, and veterans services.
- Supports other Family Office and Philanthropy Services activities, including succession planning for family foundations, coordinating family meetings, and developing engagement opportunities for new generations of trustees.
- Serves as a program officer for Jane's Trust, a charitable trust client that makes significant grants in greater Boston, northern New England, and Florida.
- Member, Associated Grant Makers Program Committee
- Board Member, Sailors’ Snug Harbor of Boston
Callie Slocum’s Comments on Serving Family Offices and Foundations
“I have come to understand philanthropy as a highly personal endeavor. I keep this essential aspect of philanthropy at the forefront of my work with clients at Hemenway & Barnes and I strive to understand each family’s values to best support them in their charitable giving.”