OVERVIEW: This funder has many funds, touching on pretty much every nonprofit service you can think of. Grants are awarded once per year.
FUNDING AREAS: The arts, children and youth, health and wellness, neediest families, senior citizens
IP TAKE: Learn about each of the funds here. There are only about three unrestricted funds. Grants can go to just about any serious need in the community.
PROFILE: The Montgomery County Community Foundation (MCCF) is based in The Woodlands, Texas, and is committed to local needs. The foundation administers over $6.4 million through approximately 35 endowment funds from individuals, companies, foundations, and other donors. The funder has given out over $1.2 million in grants and scholarships to the community.
The foundation has been awarding grants since 1999. In a recent year, it awarded a total of $149,100. Although annual grantmaking isn't exceptionally large, grants are very locally focused, making this a funder nonprofits in the county should know.
This funder likes to support initiatives that are collaborative, inclusive, and that address service gaps. It awards grants through donor-advised, field-of-interest, agency and designated agency funds, and unrestricted funds. Below are general grantmaking interests of each fund.
Donor Advised Funds:
- The George and Emily Fath Fund for Human Needs: needy families, unexpected illness
- Margaret & Foster Madeley Family Fund: general county support
- Dan H. & Martha Foster Madeley Heritage Fund: histories of local people
- Metcalf Family Endowment Fund: general county support
- David and Jill Sharp Vaughan Family Fund: animal welfare and general county support
- Annie & Irvin Hoffman Memorial Fund: elderly and children
Field of Interest Funds:
- The Woodlands Medical Center Foundation Fund: health, education, equipment
- Susie and Jack Brouse Family Fund: needy families
- Elise Mae & Edward Everett Taylor Fund: elderly citizens
- Vernon Randolph Yeakely Endowment Fund: homeless, hungry, and needy citizens
- Jeffrey Kass, MD Dog Rescue & Animal Welfare Fund: dog rescue and adoption
- Jeffrey Kass, MD Elderly Assistance Fund: senior citizens
Agency & Designated Agency Funds (partial list):
- Don & Barbara Gebert Interfaith Endowment Fund: interfaith outreach
- Crighton Theatre Fund: Crighton Theatre in downtown Conroe
- Montgomery County Performing Arts Society Performance Fund: Performing arts
- Montgomery ISD Fine Arts Endowment Fund: fine arts programs in MISD schools
- Memory Park Maintenance Fund: Memory Park maintenance and improvement
- Henry & Billie Brooks Endowment: food distribution
- Metcalf Family Endowment Benefitting First Baptist Church Conroe: church benevolent fund
- Metcalf Family Endowment Benefitting Assistance League of Montgomery County: general community support
The three unrestricted funds are the Frankie Alexander Benevolent Fund, the Buckalew Endowment Fund, and the Jason and Marti Mann Family Fund. Awards are determined by the foundation board and given to projects deemed most worthwhile for the welfare of residents in the community.
The grant application can be accessed in PDF format here. Applications are due by September 15 of each year. Applications must be mailed or hand-delivered to the foundation by this date; emailed applications are not accepted. Grants are announced at an annual reception in December. A list of grant distributions by year is on the MCCF Giving History page. Aside from educational scholarships, MCCF does not award grants to individuals. It doesn't support religious groups unless they are involved with general community service programs.
The foundation’s funds are managed by the Woodlands Securities Corporation and Woodlands Asset Management. Grant decisions are made by a committee of community volunteers. General questions can be directed to the staff at 281-363-8158 or via email at email@example.com. The funder’s address is 9320 Lakeside Boulevard, Building 2, Suite 200, The Woodlands, Texas 77381.
The key staff member here is Shannon Kidd, the executive director. Keep up with foundation events—such as the Annual Shoot Out at the Blackwood Gun Club, a sporting clays competition—here.
- Search for staff contact info and bios in PeopleFinder (paid subscribers only.)